maandag 3 oktober 2011

The New Negro debate

For my English class I read two poems. I poem of Countee Cullen called, Yet do I Marvel, and a poem from Claude McKay called, The White House. I really enjoyed reading these poems and so I am going to give you guys my personal opinion to the structure used in these poems.

Today I read a poem from Countee Cullen. While reading his poem I got his point of view of the poem: Yet Do I marvel - Countee Cullen. The writer wants to show that black and white people have equal rights. You can identify this by looking at his use of language. He uses a lot of Greek words. If you are not Greek you need to have the knowledge to understand his poem. In the end, the poem offers more than the personal perspective of a Black poet. It speaks not just of the Black condition but of the human condition. All humans feel the irony of a life filled with petty cares, with mysteries, with struggle and with death. In this poem the writer is using formal language. It seems that his poem is meant to be read by elderly people.

Today I read another poem form Claude McKay. When I started reading his poem The White House I immediately got his point of view. In contrast to the poem of Countee Cullen I read earlier today, Claude McKay thinks that black and white people should get equal rights as well. He thinks it in a different way. What he does is for example: women say we can drive a car. While he would say well women are ment to do other things like cook etc. This is how he writes. So basically do were you're good at. Compared to the use of language from Countee Cullen the use of language of Claude McKay is less formal.

I think that the writer Countee Cullen uses a better structure. My reason for this is that I think discrimination should stop. Every single person is the same in one way. No matter if you are black or white everyone should get equal rights. This is what they both think but i like the way Countee Cullen describes it. I like it when people say everyone can try out everything.

1 opmerking:

  1. Hey!
    I totally agree that McKay implies that although he thinks everyone is capable of doing the same things, he also thinks some people are just meant to do different things. Also, i don't know if you've noticed, but although his poem is one of anger, he speaks with great pride of being black.... which is what being a poet is about, not being afraid of being yourself (which is also part of our presentation for english).

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen